Tuesday, June 17, 2008

TWD: Under the Wire

DSC00522Woooo, major sugar rush!

This week, Carolyn of A Consuming Passion picked Dorie's Peppermint Cream Puff Ring.  I wasn't sure I'd get it/them done by the end of the day, but I squeaked in without any more midnight baking.

I probably should have done the ring, but the last minute baking meant it was just the two of us eating.  I tried (tried being the operative word there) making cream puffs instead.  This was my first time making pate choux so I didn't know how they'd puff up and/or out.  My puffs all came out looking like UFOs.  Heh.

Bill isn't a fan of mint in his cream puffs (I think his exact quote was "why would you mess up a cream puff with mint?!?) so I opted for flavoring it with a little vanilla extract.  I gotta say, the sour cream gave the cream a lovely tang.  I'll have to try it with mint sometime.

The TWD group made the decision that only the person picking the recipe will post it, so head over to A Consuming Passion for the recipe.  And don't forget to go look at all the other TWD Puffs!

DSC00510DSC00515

18 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Those are some tasty looking UFOs, if I do say so myself.

Anonymous said...

I think your UFOs look great (and not really like any of the UFOs I've seen)! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Your puffs look delicious! My husband wasn't interested in the mint cream, either.

Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com

Prudy said...

I love the interesting shapes for the puffs-very pretty!

Susie Homemaker said...

they DO look like UFOs! How cool is that? They look like the perfect size, too - bigger than normal (yea!) but not too big that you look like a pig eating one by yourself! Nice one!

ostwestwind said...

They really look like UFO's, my husband loves mint, it was not too bad, you can't make anything wrong with vanilla.

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Lisa T. said...

They look great - puffy and nicely browned. I also had some "interesting" looking shapes but it all a learning experience. I can't resist mint but vanilla is wonderful as well.

Di said...

Hey, it doesn't really matter what they look like as long as they taste good, right? =) That first picture looks delicious.

Michelle H said...

I love the shape of your puffs! :o)

PheMom said...

I think that shape looks pretty darn cute and nice for a golden jumbo puff!

Heather B said...

The UFOs are awesome! Great job!

Bungalow Barbara said...

I love the shape of your "UFO" puffs. The little "topknot" is great. I'll have to try that for my next batch.

I think you should tell people you made it up on purpose and it is your "signature" cream puff shape! (I imagine my Grandma A. nodding her head in approval with a twinkle in her eye. Just the sort of story she would have told!)

Jules Someone said...

Those look delicious. Not too much like a UFO. ;-)

Cecilia said...

Your cream puffs don't look alien at all; they look quite lovely. The close-up of the filled cream puff and chocolate topping made me drool. Good job!

Anonymous said...

you can make them with mint and then invite me over for tea, because i LOVE minty desserts.

Anonymous said...

These look very lovely...with or without the mint!

Mari said...

Love it! Your UFOs are fabulous! All the better to fill with loads of tasty vanilla cream!

Dolores said...

I think your UFO-esque cream puffs are gorgeous. I left the sour cream out of my cream because I didn't have any on hand; will have to try it next time!