Tuesday, June 24, 2008

TWD: Mixed Berry Cobbler

DSC00568


Oof, another photo finish (it counts if I took it out of the oven at midnight, right?). I gotta get back to some semblance of a schedule round here. One thing that's good about late night baking, the house has a chance to cool off before the heat starts ramping up again.

This week, Beth of Our Sweet Life chose Dorie's Mixed Berry Cobbler. I groaned when I saw the 60-75 minute baking time. We're in the middle of another typical Colorado summer in these parts. That means most of the week is in the 90s until well after dark with a few days that back off to the 80s. And of course, the 80 degree days just don't seem to work out for me schedule-wise. After tasting the cobbler tonight though, I'd cook this baby if it we were in the middle of a hundred degree month long heat wave. I had to stop myself from eating half the pan, and I still managed to get a stomach ache before I quit.

Dorie calls for either fresh or frozen fruit in the cobbler. I probably should have tried some of the abundant fresh berries from the store, but I figured that this would probably normally be more of a fall/winter dish for me, so I opted to graze through the frozen fruit section to see what looked good. I knew I'd put blackberries in, but I'm not a fan of raspberries and Dorie cautioned against using too many strawberries (they make the cobbler too watery). The mango jumped in my cart while I was being seduced by the bag of dark sweet cherries and I had my fruit trio.

DSC00551


I went by the book for everything else. (Well, I forgot the lime/lemon at the store, but I threw in some dried lemon peel because I had a jar.) I even included the pepper because the whole concept just intrigues me. I'm not sure either affected the final taste, but it's worth experimenting next time around.

I loved the taste of the biscuit topping with all that lovely juice, and I can't wait to experiment with different combinations of fruit. The cherries and mango almost seemed to get lost in the cobbler this time around so I'd probably bump up the amount of those next time. I tried to keep the amounts of each about even as a baseline. Now that I'm thinking about it though, I'd definitely like a few more cups of fruit in the whole thing. The amount of juice to crust was great, but the fruit was a little sparse.

As always, don't forget to check out the rest of the TWD cobblers, and head over to Our Sweet Life for the recipe!

13 comments:

Mari said...

Looking at your cobbler is making me hungry! I kinda regret halving the recipe now! ;-)

Sarah said...

Your cobbler looks awesome...the perfect rustic dessert!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!
... and I feel your pain on the hot weather/oven situation!

Engineer Baker said...

Sneaky sneaky mango! Sounds like a fabulous combination.

Anonymous said...

Midnight cobbler baking,that's something. That slice looks positively smashing.

Anonymous said...

I've started baking at night because of the heat, too. Having an oven on when it's in the 90s should be illegal.

Di said...

"In the middle of a hundred degree month long heat wave" -- that pretty much describes the conditions here (Texas). Thank goodness for air conditioning. Your cobbler looks terrific!

Heather B said...

It looks so tasty! I want some more cobbler now! Great job!

Anonymous said...

You're the opposite of me, I like a lot of biscuit to a little fruit. That mango can be a ninja fruit!

Shari said...

I halved the recipe, but I wish I hadn't. Looks delicious!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Dolores said...

Mangoes, cherries and blackberries... will you marry me? :) Or at the very least bake for me?

Jules Someone said...

That looks so delicious! I love your fruit combo.

Bungalow Barbara said...

Delicious! I agree with you about the biscuit to fruit ratio. Definitely making it again, though!