Friday, March 21, 2008

Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas

No picture! Sorry!! (Mostly because I was in full party hostess mode by the time these were done and I was more concerned with getting people drinks and having them enjoy themselves. *sigh* One of these days, I'll get it together enough to do both.)

These things were awesome for the party, and would be great at a potluck or large casual dinner. Fair warning though, they really don't stand up well to reheating. I made a plate of the leftovers the next day, and the awesomeness had just leaked out. That first day though? I had just about everybody asking for the recipe. That's how good they are.

I pulled the recipe off of cooks.com (here's the link) but I tweaked it, cause that's what I do! :D

Here's the tweaked version:

CROCK POT CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

1 small can red enchilada sauce
1 small can green enchilada sauce
3-4 chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 sm. can sliced black olives
2 dozen corn tortillas
1 chopped onion
1 pkg. sharp Cheddar cheese, grated

Cook chicken and shred. Mix soup, olives and onions. Cut tortillas in wedges. Layer crock pot with sauce, tortillas, soup mix, chicken and cheese all the way to top, ending with cheese on top. Cook on low temperature all day in crock pot.

I alternated the red and green sauces and boiled the chicken the night before with some spices and herbs (whatever struck Bill's fancy because he's the spicer).

When they say to layer it all the way to the top, they're not kidding. I was worried about leaving it all day unattended (working is the pits sometime), so I put it someplace where overflow wouldn't hurt anything and then left an inch or two at the top. When I got home, the house was filled with the smell of bubbling cheesy goodness, and the whole thing had shrunk down to about three quarters of the crock pot. There was plenty there to feed 10 people with a little bit of leftovers, but I used my monster crock pot. Next time, I'll use my smaller crock and layer that puppy until the lid will hardly fit.

No comments: