Tuesday, July 8, 2008

TWD: Double Crusted Blueberry Pie

Another Tuesday, another baked good.  This time, Amy of South in Your Mouth chose the Double Crusted Blueberry Pie (pages 361-363).

This week was just fraught (heh, I've always wanted to use that word) with worries for me. For starters, I've never made a pie crust from scratch before. It's been Pillsbury crusts for me from day one, baby. No worries and no fuss with a pretty decent taste (just like Mom used to make unroll).

DSC00709DSC00711Being the first time, I wasn't really sure what to expect with the whole ice water thing. I stopped with the 6 Tablespoons Dorie suggests, but the crust looked a little dry to me (left picture). I added close to another Tablespoon of water, and it clumped up like a crust. W00t!

DSC00715


The next worry was rolling out the crust. I'm rolling pin challenged, for reals. I'm usually lucky if I manage to keep most of the dough on the board instead of the roller. I decided to try one of Dorrie's suggestions and rolled these out between plastic wrap. Sooooo easy!

DSC00720


The pie was brown and gorgeous after 30 minutes, so I put a foil tent on it when I turned down the heat. I kept the pie in for the whole baking time mentioned in the book, but I think it could have used another 10 minutes or so. I was expecting some bubbling juices, and I didn't have any with the listed times.

DSC00721


(Look at that flaky crust. It tasted even better than it looked.)

The hubs had tried to get me to switch the blueberries out for apples, but he was still drooling at the 30 minute mark. Speaking of blueberries, that'd be my final worry. I'm just not that big of a blueberry fan, so I was worried that all the work would be for nothing. I gotta say though, this pie was fantastic. The crust was phenomenal and the blueberry filling was great. I used fresh blueberries - might as well go the whole distance, right? (Hoo boy, was that expensive!) I'm not sure that I'd do blueberry again, but I can't wait to try an apple pie with this crust.

DSC00730


As usual, don't forget to check out the other TWD pies. And head over to South in Your Mouth for the recipe.

33 comments:

Amy said...

Your pie looks flakey and delicious. It was my first time with the from scratch crust too. Yours is so pretty!

Prudy said...

That's one pretty pie. Your crust looks especially perfect.

Anonymous said...

First of all, I love your website design!

And your pie looks absolutely delicious! The color is amazing!

Engineer Baker said...

What an awesome job on your first pie crust!

Sarah said...

Gorgeous golden color on your crust! Great job!

Mrs. Mighton said...

Hi! I'm new to TWD -- joined a few days ago. I had to laugh at your "worries" -- I had the exact same ones! I've never made a pie dough from scratch and I encountered a few troubles, namely the whole ice water thing. I had browning issues too, but it all worked out in the end. I'm glad yours did too. It looks awesome! :-)

Judy said...

Your pie crust looks lovely. Congratulations for being so brave! It really isn't all that difficult and now you can make crusts whenever you wish.

Pamela said...

I loved this pie, too. From start to finish, I think it was one of the best things I've ever made. I didn't have any bubbling juices, either, but that didn't bother me too much. And I have always been a Pillsbury crust fan myself. I think they have just lost a customer. :o)

Anonymous said...

I think your crust looks amazing! Next time I might foil tent mine so it doesn't get too dark, I covered the edges but I probably should of covered the whole thing!

Susie Homemaker said...

OMG your pie crust looks perfect!! Excellent job Pillsbury Girl!!

Anonymous said...

It looks fabulous! I bet apple would be divine too!

ostwestwind said...

Your crust looks perfect, no dark brown edges like mine.

Great work, well done!

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

kimberly salem said...

your pie looks golden and delicious, great job on your first time! :)

Bumblebutton said...

Yay!! Nice job, and on your first try, too!!

Annemarie said...

Your pics are so great. Nice job!

chocolatechic said...

Just gotta know.....

Is that a Longaberger pie plate?

Christine said...

I am a pie crust newbie! Yours looks fantastic Great job!

Sharon said...

Oh, love the golden crust and that lovely scoop of ice cream.

Amy said...

Your pie looks wonderful! I love your photos!

Summertime said...

Your crust looks awesome! Way better than Pillsbury:) Love your pictures.

Anonymous said...

Wow...really great photos and a great looking pie! Kudos to you for such a wonderful post.

Steph said...

Your crust looks amazingly flaky!

Linda said...

I think the crust stressed a lot of people this week (including me). Your pie looks wonderfully delicious, especially the crust!!

PheMom said...

Perfect. Great job! Can't say much more than that!

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

Mmmm, great photos, that crust is AWESOME! Your pie looks delicious :)

Mari said...

That's one gorgeous pie! How fantastic that it converted you to a blueberry pie lover!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the crust, it looks wonderful. Good looking out with the water, always gotta trust what's happening in front of you more than what's on the printed page.

The Queen of Quite a Lot said...

I'm not a huge blueberry fan either, so my situation is like yours and I like the pie!

Great job!

Di said...

Nice job--I wouldn't have guessed that this was your first time making pie crust from scratch. I'm going to have to try this crust for my apple pie (don't like blueberries).

Bungalow Barbara said...

Good work! Congratulations on your first home-made pie crust!

Jules Someone said...

Nice work on your first pie crust. I'll be making it with apples as well!

LyB said...

Fabulous looking pie! That crust is incredibly flaky, beautiful!

Jaime said...

perfect w/ice cream! i love the crust too. not sure i'll do blueberry next time either though