Thursday, October 23, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers: Vegetable Pot Pie

DSC01786

Recipe chosen by: Deb of Kahakai Kitchen
Link to Recipe: Vegetable Pot Pie

Wooo, this is some rich pot pie. Awesome and tasty and filling, but rich.

I wasn't sure about the fennel bulb, and I've never used saffron threads. But I decided to trust Ina, and do the recipe with no (okay, a few small) modifications.

I opted for ready made pie crust on one big pie (my very deep dish cassarole dish, actually). I also skipped the asparagus tips. I went trolling the produce aisle for a replacement, but green beans just didn't look like a good replacement.

I also roasted the veggies instead of boiling. Almost forgot that...

Mosaic


DSC01792The sauce was rich and complex, and I loved the butternut squash and the fennel bulb.

As good as it was though, I'm not sure I'll make this again. It seemed like it took forever. Although since I roasted the veggies, it probably wasn't as long as it seemed. (I just had a problem finding a couple of hours to make dinner. Working late, etc left me making this half-way one night and finishing it the next.)

I might pull this one out for a homey and yet fancy dinner for guests. Add some chicken and the asparagus tips, and bake in the individual bowls - that would be pretty nice. (But I think I'd really, really have to like the guests.)

So, one more recipe where Ina hit it out of the park. A big thanks to Deb for picking a great recipe! Don't forget to check out the rest of the Barefoot Bloggers to see how they liked it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yours looks like it was worth the cooking time anyway. Zapping the vegies in the microwave could cut down time too.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I bet the roasting added some more complexity to the dish. I did mine on a weekend day because of the time so I agree it would be an infrequent company dish. Great job!

Heather B said...

it looks yummy! Great job!

Veronica said...

I like the idea of roasting the vegetables, I'll bet that really gave it nice flavor...looks delicious.

Peggy said...

Roasting the vegetables was a genius move! I bet that tasted delicious. I cheated on my piecrust too and used puff pastry. It didn't look so pretty, but it was delicious.

chocolatechic said...

I agree. The sauce is rich and flavorful.

We loved it.

Mandy said...

Yes, a lovely meal for SPECIAL guests. My boyfriend Jim and I really loved this recipe, but I agree it was a lot of work. Your's looks wonderful!

Cathy said...

Your pictures are beautiful! I agree that the veggies could have been cooked a wee bit more for my taste. This was REALLY time-consuming. I'd make them again when I had lots of extra time on my hands!

Anonymous said...

Oh, it looks great though! Roasting the veggies sounds wonderful.

I love your banner, is that new?

~Cat