Monday, May 12, 2008

TWD: Peanut Butter Torte

DSC00098

I'm a week late on this one, but better late than never, right? I managed to make this for my Saturday night testers last weekend. (Fixed to say, thanks to Elizabeth of Ugg Smell Food for picking the recipe this week! She's got one of my favorite blog names..)

This is just a gorgeous little torte. I mean, look at that

DSC00105


DSC00113

Given all the gorgeousness, I was expecting it to be fantastic. Unfortunately, it just... wasn't. One of the folks said the texture was too airy but the taste was good. I wanted more crust and more peanut butter flavor. The other taste tester didn't say much, but she ate a fraction of what she usually manages.

The other test was when I took the leftovers into the office. Usually folks descend and all that's left are crumbs, but there was only one small sliver gone at the end of the day.

I'm thinking there's a couple of possibilities. I used low fat whenever possible (reduced fat peanut butter and low fat cream cheese). So that could possibly have affected the taste and texture. I think I also have issues with whipping cream. I need to spend some time and try to find a demo video or pictures because I think I stop short of the right textures. I'm so afraid of breaking the cream.

This is right about the time that I really wish the internet came with taste files. What I wouldn't give to sample some of the other versions of this!

Here's the recipe, and you'll have to go back a week for the other tortes. Whooohooo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks lovely however I wasn't too keen on the taste either. not one of Dorie's best! Hx

Di said...

Your torte looks fantastic! I'm sorry it wasn't as good as you hoped. I definitely recommend using more Oreos for the crust than Dorie had in the recipe. I only made a 7-inch torte, and I used 16.

Natalie said...

Helen: I'm sorry you didn't like it either (but I was beginning to think my taste buds were way off, so thanks for that! :)

Di: The hubs scarfed down the oreos before I could make the crust, or I'd have used a bunch more! Thanks!

Jaime said...

wow, love the first photo! i need to get better lighting...looks like you've found the perfect lighting for yours :)