Tuesday, April 1, 2008

TWD: Gooey Chocolate Cake

DSCN1389


Alternate title: I Got Your Molten, Right Here!

Okay, maybe not quite molten lava, but totally a checkaroonio on the gooey. Leigh over at Lemon Tartlet totally knew what she was doing with this week's pick.

Easy? Check!

Chocolate? Double Check!

Gooey? Check!! (For me, anyway. From some of the comments on the problems and questions thread, a few people had problems with that. I wish I could tell you why mine worked, but I honestly have no idea.)

I waited until the last minute (Monday night after dinner) to throw these together, and it couldn't have been easier. Wham, bam, mmmmmmmm!

Dorie said to use a chocolate you liked, so I went with the Ghirardelli Semisweet. I forgot to pick up a disposable aluminum muffin tin like she suggested, so I punted and used some of my foil muffin liners on a baking sheet. Easy, peasy! I wasn't sure if there would be rise so I left space in the muffin liner. Once I tasted the batter though, I wasn't letting any of that go to waste and I put another one on the sheet and scraped every last bit out of the bowl.

No ice cream in the house (another comment in the book was to serve these with something to compliment the chocolate, like ice cream), so I whipped up some cream and piped it onto the plate just for fun. Then the whipped cream kept washing out in the pictures, so I threw some cocoa powder at it until the peaks showed up a little better.

The semisweet chocolate was incredible in these, and I wouldn't make them any other way! I'd go for some ice cream next time though. How can you go wrong with that melty goodness?

I wasn't sure how these would be after they cooled, but I tried one today. Nothing is going to beat that warm gooey chocolate, but even a day later, it was moist and tasty. (They'd probably make fantastic cupcakes if you pushed the chocolate down in the batter some - and didn't mind a dip in the top when they cooled. Hmmmm....)

For the full recipe, click here. And don't forget to check out the other TWD entries this week!

Gooey Chocolate Cake Mosaic

13 comments:

Judy said...

They look yummy delicious. Any kind of ice cream/cream will work. I used bittersweet chocolate, because that's all I had, but sometime I'll try semisweet, maybe even milk chocolate. (Love your comments (QOMB) by the way.)

CB said...

Fabu pictures and writeup. Your blog always makes happy. Colorful and bright. Great job!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Gretchen Noelle said...

I really love your new design! It looks fabulous! And these delicious chocolate cakes...also fabulous!

Dolores said...

Wham, bam, mmmm...

Yep, I believe that pretty much sums it up. :)

Anonymous said...

Yummy looking OOEY, GOOEY cakes!
Gorgeous photos too!
I think I'll use a different chocolate the next time too. I like semi so much better than bittersweet.

noskos said...

Great looking cakes!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad yours turned out so wonderfully gooey! This was such a great recipe. Glad to hear they were still tasty cool, I reheated mine the next day and they got perfectly gooey again.

Piggy said...

looks yummy! :-)

Anonymous said...

They look so ooey and yummy! Great work! :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! Great idea to "whip up" some cream! Looks so good!

SQT said...

Oh lord. That's another 5 pounds I'll be gaining for sure....

Natalie said...

Wooo! Late as usual!

Judy: Thanks!

CB: Thank ya lady!

Gretchen Noelle: thanks and thanks!

Dolores: LOL It seemed to fit!

Donna: These were a slice of heaven on a plate with the semi - soooo good :)

Noskos: Thanks!

Karina: I was surprised at how good they were reheated - good enough to make ahead to take to a potluck. Oh, or just thought of it, but they'd be perfect in a gift/care basket!

Piggy: Thanks!

Dianne: Thanks!

SQT: Hehehe - these are totally worth a couple of extra laps (or a dozen, who's counting?)

Jaime said...

your cake is cute! pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds the next day and it is warm and semi gooey :)