Tuesday, February 12, 2008

TWD: Brown Sugar-Apple Cheesecake

FSCN1035


Jaime of Good Eats n’ Sweet Treats picked this weeks Tuesdays with Dorie recipe: the Brown Sugar-Apple Cheesecake.

It's basically an orgasm on a plate. Can I say that? :D

I got raves on the crust by everyone who tried it, raves on the apples by the fruit lover, and someone who normally hates cheesecake inhaled the small piece I cut her plus the last quarter of mine when I couldn't finish it. (I cut some pretty large pieces to try and get a decent photo - 5 of us managed to polish off half of it by the end of the night. And the cheesecake hater took home a large hunk for the next day.)

FSCN1033


The cheesecake came out a beautiful caramel color interspersed with flecks from the cinnamon. (Please see the other TWD versions for better pictures - my camera either made it too yellow or washed everything out.) I used graham cracker crumbs with the added cinnamon and Fuji apples.

I had a few problems (entirely my fault), but this cheesecake was so fabulous that it transcended even my issues. I only had a 9inch springform pan and my apples were humongous. The combination left me with about a 3/4 cup of filling left over. If I had to do it over, I'd cut the apples smaller and figure out how to wrap the pan with aluminum foil so it didn't get water logged.

This is definitely a keeper, and I'd love to try it again using my homemade apple butter to see how that turns out.

For the recipe, see Jaime's post over at Good eats n' Sweet Treats. And don't forget to check out the other TWD group entries (the blogroll is on the sidebar).

FSCN1029

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yours looks so creamy and lucious! The plates you have it on are really pretty too, they mtch perfectly. You'll love the apple butter version, it comes out very nicely.

Judy said...

Your cheesecake looks delicious. I'd make the apple slices thinner next time, too.

Erin said...

Your cheesecake looks great! I bet the apple butter version will be great- you'll have to make that one and post about it! =)

Madam Chow said...

Kaiser makes pans that you don't have to wrap. Otherwise, I use TWO layers of foil and wrap them around the pan before I put the filling in.

Lori said...

Your cheesecake came out great! I had some of the same issues you did though. I ended up making a judgement call in the beginning and slicing the apples thinner and not using quite as many. I also used a 9 in. pan so I think 3 apples would've been too many for me. I'm sure your cake tasted just as good as mine did so the issues worked out just fine!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

looks great! beautiful coloring!

Dianne's Dishes said...

It's look so high and fluffy! It turned out absolutely beautiful! :)

Jhianna said...

LemonTartlet: Thanks! After seeing all the fantastic things everyone else did, I've got a whole list of changes to try. Maybe the next potluck...

Judy: It's a tough call since they were so good, but it would definitely help with the presentation!

Erin: Thanks! I'll have to wait on that one until I've got someplace to take it...

Madam Chow: I'll try wrapping it twice the next time - great idea, thanks!

Lori: Oh yeah, the taste was fantastic! Thanks!

Steph: thanks!

Diane: I was petrified that it would overflow the pan, but thanks!

Caroline said...

I love how perfectly browned your cheesecake is.

Engineer Baker said...

If you make the apple butter version, you definitely have to let us know how it goes. Your cheesecake looks wonderful!

Beosig said...

The big apple chunks surprised me, but it was really yummy. I tend to avoid cheesecake because it's too rich, but this was right on target!

Anonymous said...

Your cheesecake looks wonderful!

Mary said...

another beautiful cheesecake! great job!

Anonymous said...

I just love that last picture! Your cheesecake looks lovely (and now I'm starting to wonder if this recipe could change my mind about the evils of cheesecake...)

Jaime said...

i did not have extra batter, even though i used the 9" pan... i did slice my apples thinner (i have a gadget that cores and slices them - into 12 pieces, not 8). did you wrap the pan in at least one layer of foil? i believe that the recipe says to do that to prevent it from getting water logged from the water bath.

regardless, it looks great and i'm glad to hear that even your non cheesecake loving friend loved it! :)

Di said...

I think your cheesecake turned out great, despite the problems. I'm envious that you have so many people to feed it to. =) I took some to work today, but there's still quite a bit in my fridge.

Peabody said...

I was thinking about doing it again with apple butter too. Great job.

Jhianna said...

Engineer Baker: Oh, I definitely will! And Thanks!

Beosig: :)

Caroline, Chelley325, Mary, Peabody: Thanks!

theFlouredApron: give it a shot! The hater and meh folks all seemed to really like it...

MrsPresley: I wrapped it in two layers, but maybe I just filled the pan too much. Next time, smaller apples and tighter wrappings for sure! Thanks!

Di: I don't know what I'd do without the taste testers. I may have to start giving their reviews when I do a recipe!